Toronto's Historical Plaques
Learn a little of Toronto's history as told through its plaques
Withrow Avenue Public School Junior
Photos and text by contributor Wayne Adam - Posted June, 2009
Inside Withrow Avenue Public School on Bain Avenue is this historical plaque. Here's what it says about the school's history:
Plaque coordinates: 43.670642 -79.352177
The need for a new school for the Riverdale area became apparent just prior to the turn of the century. Having resolved to provide a school, the Toronto Board of Education approved the purchase of the school site on June 7, 1900. The location was on Withrow Avenue and the school was to bear the name of the avenue which received its name from John J. Withrow, former alderman and founder of the Canadian National Exhibition.
The oldest portion of the building was erected in 1901 and consisted of four rooms. Four additions were made to the building between the years 1906 and 1931 so that, at the time of replacement, the old school consisted of twenty-one classrooms, two kindergartens, exercise rooms, library, staff rooms, offices and a health room.
On October 31, 1968, the Toronto Board of Education nominated the replacement of Withrow Public School - Junior as a project under the Study of Educational Facilities programme to be included in the 1969 estimates. It was not, however, until January 4, 1971 that the replacement became an active project.
Construction commenced on August 5, 1971 and the cornerstone was laid by trustee Graham F. Scott on May 24, 1972. The new building was first occupied by students on June 26, 1972 and formally opened on November 16, 1972.
Note: If you wish to ask me a question, please use the email link in the menu.
Note: Comments are moderated. Yours will appear on this page within 24 hours
(usually much sooner).
Note: As soon as the comment is posted, a link to it will appear on the home page in the section "Here are the 10 latest plaque pages with a new comment added by a visitor to this site."