There are three plaques called "York Mills".
All can be seen on this page.
Photos by Alan L Brown - Posted September, 2006
Plaque coordinates: 43.744049 -79.406712
The Village of York Mills grew up around three mill sites on the west branch of the Don River about 10 km north of Toronto. From the opening of Samuel Heron's Mill in 1804 until 1926 when George Pratt's operation closed, the sounds and aromas of flour-mills, cider-mills and saw-mills filled the valley. In 1870 the Village of York Mills had a population of 100.
James Hogg owned property in the vicinity from 1824. After the Hogg brothers began to develop it in the 1850'S the area was also known as Hogg's Hollow.
Photo by Alan L Brown - Posted March, 2004
Plaque coordinates: 43.743809 -79.403687
In 1796, Thomas Mercer, a Loyalist, acquired some 80 ha of land in this vicinity. James Hogg, an enterprising Scottish emigrant, purchased part of this property about 1818 and built a grist-mill on the west branch of the Don River near here. In the 1820's the mill became the nucleus of a small settlement known as Hogg's Hollow. The first St. John's Anglican Church (1817) was among the earliest built north of York. When the course of Yonge Street was changed in 1836, new mills, a tavern and a tannery were constructed to serve this rapidly growing community, and following the establishment of a post office, it became known as York Mills.
Photos by Alan L Brown - Posted August, 2008
Photo by contributor Wayne Adam - Posted November, 2010
Plaque coordinates: 43.744429 -79.407248
York Mills was established around mill sites on the west branch of the Don River. The community underwent several name changes which usually reflected the names of the most powerful mill owners.
The first grist and saw mill was opened in 1804 by Samuel Heron on the east side of Yonge Street south of today's York Mills Road. In 1817, Millford Mills was opened farther north by Thomas Arnold. Seven years later, the Arnold mill property was bought by James Hogg, a prominent York Mills settler.
Today, the area is still commonly referred to as Hogg's Hollow, the name of a subdivision plan developed by the Hogg family in 1856. An unsuccessful venture, the Hogg family sold only a few lots on what used to be John Street where only three worker's cottages were built. Today, two of these cottages have been incorporated into the Auberge du Pommier Restaurant.
A little farther south, York Mills also claims the well-known Yonge Street landmark, the Jolly Miller Tavern. It too was built by the Hogg family in 1857 as the York Mills Hotel. During the Prohibition Years (1916-1927) the inn was a much frequented gambling spot to which the police made regular raids. It wasn't until the 1930s that the tavern was remodelled and renamed the Jolly Miller. For a short time, the Jolly Miller also housed one of Canada's most famous historical artists, C.W. Jefferys. His illustrations of early Canadian life are among the most treasured reminders of days gone by.
At present, Old Yonge Street remains as the original Yonge Street path through the York Mills valley. Many historic structures still stand on Old Yonge Street, including St. John's Anglican Church. Its first cornerstone was laid in 1816 to serve as the first mission outpost of Toronto's St. James Cathedral. Nearly two centuries later, it continues to serve the York Mills community.
Note: If you wish to ask me a question, please use the email link in the menu.
Note: Comments are moderated. Yours will appear on this page within 24 hours
(usually much sooner).
Note: As soon as the comment is posted, a link to it will appear on the home page in the section "Here are the 10 latest plaque pages with a new comment added by a visitor to this site."